Functional Orthodontic Appliances and Treatments near Tremonton, Utah
At Castle Creek Pediatric Dentistry, we offer functional orthodontics that deals with both aligning teeth and breaking damaging habits that have caused the orthodontic condition. Genetics can cause misaligned, cramped teeth, but myofunctional habits like finger or thumb sucking, mouth breathing, reverse swallowing and tongue thrust can cause dental misalignment.
Standard Orthodontics vs. Functional Orthodontics
Standard braces straighten teeth but they do not correct damaging myofunctional habits. Functional orthodontics is an integrated procedure that initially concentrates on orthopedics. This concentration will help a patient’s airway and bite and then concentrate on straightening teeth. In functional orthodontics, we care about the following elements of overall health before any typical orthodontic treatment begins:
- The skeletal bones of the head and face
- The upper and lower jaw bones and TMJ
- The relationship of the TMJ to the neck and back
- The patient’s airway
- After such issues have been taken care of, the needed normal orthodontic treatment to align the teeth can start.
Purpose of Functional Orthodontics
Functional orthodontics help children develop to their total genetic capacity by dealing with the problems listed above. Palate growth increases the size of jaws and airways and occurs through oral appliances and traditional braces. This will create enough space for teeth to move into place.
What is the Treatment Like?
Functional orthodontics will work best along with a patient’s growth and maturity, functional orthodontics is most effective when children are young. The treatment will usually occur in two stages:
- Phase 1:
- Patients will be fitted with oral appliances to develop the upper and lower jaw bones. This typically lasts from 9 to 18 months.
- Phase 2:
- After the jaws are matured and adult teeth have grown, patients will wear standard braces to align their teeth if needed. Treatment time lasts another 9 to 18 months but can last many years in some instances.
Contact Us for Functional Orthodontics near Tremonton, Utah
At our practice, we are honored to offer functional orthodontics to children in Tremonton and surrounding areas. This type of orthodontics is best for young children who have crooked teeth, crowded teeth and bad myofunctional habits. Call us today to schedule a consultation.