Functional Orthodontic Appliances and Treatments in Ogden, Utah
At Castle Creek Pediatric Dentistry, we provide functional orthodontics that addresses both straightening teeth and breaking negative habits that have caused the orthodontic problem. Heredity can lead to crooked, crowded teeth, but myofunctional habits like finger or thumb sucking, mouth breathing, reverse swallowing and tongue thrust can create dental misalignment.
Regular Orthodontics vs. Functional Orthodontics
Standard braces straighten teeth but they do not correct unhealthy myofunctional habits. Functional orthodontics is a holistic procedure that chiefly concentrates on orthopedics. This focus will improve a patient’s airway and bite and then concentrate on aligning teeth. In functional orthodontics, we focus on the following aspects of general well-being before any typical orthodontic treatment begins:
- The skeletal bones in the head and face
- The upper and lower jaw bones and TMJ
- How the TMJ functions in connection to the neck and back
- The patient’s airway
Once these problems have been addressed, the required traditional orthodontic treatment to straighten the teeth can start.
Intention of Functional Orthodontics
A functional orthodontic treatment will make sure children develop to their full genetic potential by dealing with the issues listed above. Palate growth enhances the size of jaws and airways and occurs through oral appliances and standard braces. This will make enough space for teeth to shift into place.
What Happens in Functional Orthodontic Treatment
Since functional orthodontics will work best along with a patient’s growth and maturity, functional orthodontics is best when children are young. The treatment will normally occur in two phases:
- Phase 1:
- Patients will be fitted with oral appliances to expand the upper and lower jaw bones. This usually lasts between 9 and 18 months.
- Phase 2:
- After the jaws are developed and adult teeth have grown, patients will wear normal braces to straighten their teeth if needed. The appliances typically stay on another 9 to 18 months but can stay on for many years in some instances.
At our clinic, we are honored to offer functional orthodontics to children in Ogden and neighboring areas. This form of orthodontics is perfect for young children who have crooked teeth, crowded teeth and destructive myofunctional habits. Contact us today to make an appointment.