Functional Orthodontic Appliances and Treatments near North Ogden, Utah
At Castle Creek Pediatric Dentistry, we offer functional orthodontics that takes care of both straightening teeth and correcting harmful habits that have lead to the orthodontic condition. Heredity can lead to crooked, cramped teeth, but myofunctional habits like finger or thumb sucking, mouth breathing, reverse swallowing and tongue thrust can create dental misalignment.
Traditional Orthodontics vs. Functional Orthodontics
Traditional braces straighten teeth but they do not take care of harmful myofunctional habits. Functional orthodontics is an integrated procedure that initially concentrates on orthopedics. This focus will help a patient’s airway and bite and then concentrate on straightening teeth. In functional orthodontics, we pay attention to the following elements of general health before any standard orthodontic treatment starts:
- The skeletal bones that make up the head and face
- The upper and lower jaw bones and TMJ
- How the TMJ functions in relation to the neck and back
- The patient’s airway
Once these aspects have been addressed, the required typical orthodontic treatment to align the teeth can begin.
Goals of Functional Orthodontics
Functional orthodontics help children develop to their full genetic capacity by improving the issues listed above. Palate expansion enhances the size of jaws and airways and occurs through oral appliances and traditional braces. This creates enough space for teeth to shift into place.
What is Involved in Functional Orthodontic Treatment
Because functional orthodontics work best in conjunction with a patient’s growth and maturity, functional orthodontics is most effective when children are young. The treatment will typically occur in two phases:
- Phase 1:
- Functional orthodontic patients will be equipped with oral appliances to develop the upper and lower jaw bones. This normally lasts between 9 and 18 months.
- Phase 2:
- Once the jaws are developed and adult teeth have appeared, patients will wear normal braces to straighten their teeth if needed. The appliances typically stay on another 9 to 18 months, but can stay on for many years in some cases.
Contact Us for an Appointment near North Ogden, Utah
At our clinic we are proud to offer functional orthodontics to children in North Ogden and adjacent areas. This type of orthodontics is best for young children who have crooked teeth, crowded teeth and damaging myofunctional habits. Get in touch with us today to make an appointment.