Functional Orthodontic Appliances and Treatments near Morgan, Utah
At Castle Creek Pediatric Dentistry, we provide functional orthodontics that deals with both straightening teeth and fixing damaging habits that have created the orthodontic problem. Heredity can cause crooked, cramped teeth, but myofunctional habits like finger or thumb sucking, mouth breathing, reverse swallowing and tongue thrust can lead to dental misalignment.
Standard Orthodontics vs. Functional Orthodontics
Normal braces align teeth but they do not correct unhealthy myofunctional habits. Functional orthodontics is an integrated procedure that chiefly concentrates on orthopedics. This focus will help a patient’s airway and bite and then focus on aligning teeth. In functional orthodontics, we pay attention to the following elements of overall health before any standard orthodontic treatment starts:
- The skeletal bones in the head and face
- The upper and lower jaw bones and TMJ
- The relationship of the TMJ to the neck and back
- The patient’s airway
Once these aspects have been taken care of, the needed standard orthodontic treatment to straighten the teeth can begin.
Goals of Functional Orthodontics
A functional orthodontic treatment will make sure children grow to their total genetic capability by improving the problems listed above. Palate growth increases the size of jaws and airways and occurs through oral appliances and typical braces. This will create enough room for teeth to move into place.
What is the Treatment Like?
Because functional orthodontics work best in conjunction with a patient’s growth and development, functional orthodontics is most effective when children are young. The procedure will usually occur in two phases:
- Phase 1:
- Patients will be equipped with oral appliances to develop the upper and lower jaw bones. This typically lasts between 9 and 18 months.
- Phase 2:
- After the jaws are matured and permanent teeth have appeared, patients will wear traditional braces to straighten their teeth if needed. Treatment time lasts another 9 to 18 months but can stay on for several years in some cases.
Call Us for Functional Orthodontics near Morgan, Utah
At our clinic, we are proud to provide functional orthodontics to patients in Morgan and neighboring areas. This form of orthodontics is great for young children who have misaligned teeth, crowded teeth and destructive myofunctional habits. Call us today to make an appointment.