Functional Orthodontics near Brigham City, Utah
Castle Creek Pediatric Dentistry provides functional orthodontics that addresses both straightening teeth and correcting harmful habits that have caused the orthodontic condition. Heredity can lead to crooked, crowded teeth, but myofunctional habits like finger or thumb sucking, mouth breathing, reverse swallowing and tongue thrust can create dental misalignment.
Traditional Orthodontics vs. Functional Orthodontics
Regular braces straighten teeth but they do not correct detrimental myofunctional habits. Functional orthodontics is a holistic technique that chiefly concentrates on orthopedics. This focus will help a patient’s airway and bite and then concentrate on straightening teeth. In functional orthodontics, we focus on the proceeding aspects of overall well-being before any traditional orthodontic treatment begins:
- The skeletal bones in the head and face
- The upper and lower jaw bones and TMJ
- The relationship of the TMJ to the neck and back
- The patient’s airway
Once these aspects have been taken care of, the needed standard orthodontic treatment to straighten the teeth can begin.
Intention of Functional Orthodontics
Functional orthodontics help children grow to their total genetic capability by improving the problems listed above. Palate growth enhances the size of jaws and airways and occurs through oral appliances and typical braces. This creates enough space for teeth to move into place.
What Happens in Functional Orthodontic Treatment
Functional orthodontics work best in conjunction with a patient’s growth and development, functional orthodontics is best when children are young. The procedure will usually occur in two stages:
- Phase 1:
- Functional orthodontic patients will be fitted with oral appliances to develop the upper and lower jaw bones. This typically lasts between 9 and 18 months.
- Phase 2:
- Once the jaws are developed and permanent teeth have grown, patients will wear traditional braces to straighten their teeth if necessary. Treatment time lasts another 9 to 18 months but can last several years in some cases.
Contact us for an Appointment near Brigham City, Utah
At Castle Creek Pediatric Dentistry, we are honored to provide functional orthodontics to children in Brigham City and adjacent areas. This form of orthodontics is best for young children who have crooked teeth, crowded teeth and damaging myofunctional habits. Call us today to make an appointment.